Thursday, April 23, 2009

Debugging

This is funny, this is not funny for me.

During this debugging session, I'm continuously guilt ridden for the technical failure is delaying the delivery and it was increasingly time consuming because I needed to question each of my assumptions, that sucks!

After my stress-profile-code-profile-stress cycles I did however learned a bit more about various JVM GC tuning options. Also, that in an overzealous attempt to gain customer delight the code was doing far more than required. I moved a step back and thinking from the usability perspective the problem immediately visible. Thanks to right encapsulation none of the interfaces are breaking and the affected code module could be refactored to fix the performance issue at hand. Further, tweaking the data structure to collect data for generating the performance reports helped us achieve performance gains. Now, we are able to do more with less. The trick is finding the application of technology that makes the most sense for solving your problem at hand.

Looks like my build is complete, let me profile my code again..

No comments: